SuperForum II: Local Video Explosion – This is the Kelsey Group’s ILM:08 conference session that we were most excited about covering. This is a great panel session with several leaders in local online video marketing solutions.
Brad Inman, Chairman and Founder of TurnHere has created more than 11,000 ads for small and medium sized businesses (SMBs) since they started. As you likely already know, TurnHere is really the behemoth in the room.is up first.
Brad’s presents “25 things that TurnHere has learned” about local video production and video marketing for businesses:
- The Anti-Super Bowl Ad
- Make it targeted, relevant, informational, and evergreen.
- Killer Product for IYPs (Internet Yellow Pages)
- As print revenues decline, IYPs are looking for high-margin growth areas online.
- Video represents the best opportunity for growth and margin.
- SMBs Love Online Video
- The affordable nature of online video, combined with the results seen is driving adoption of video by firms traditionally shut out of TV advertising.
- Cycle Time is Everything
- Creative process must align with the sales business cycles.
- Customer Eduction and Coaching Spur Faster Shoot Times
- Sales support = fulfillment.
- Put That Camera Away
- Some businesses are camera shy. – they now offer custom voiceovers.
- Recession Advertising
- TurnHere is profitable and is growing each quarter.
- In tough economic times, video represents a cost-efficient means of effective online advertising.
- Scheduling is the Black Box
- 50% of people reschedule their first appointment.
- 4.5 calls are needed in order to schedule an appointment.
- Custom Beats Stock
- Custom production creates more engagement and action than stock video products.
- Video Ads Work
- Video increases calls, clicks, site visits, etc….
- 55% of users who watch these videos end up visiting the website of the business.
- Ads That Are Not Ads Work Best
- Video Create Trust
- We have written about this with regard to online video marketing for attorneys.
- What Type of Businesses Love Video?
- Restaurants, dentists, auto repair, plumbers, movers, limos, home repair, veterinarians, attorneys, car dealers, florists, insurance, bars & nightlife.
- Engaged Trumps Branding
- Tired of paid actors – Authenticity helps.
- Shoot video of the actual business owner, and make it a compelling and authentic.
- Local Producers with Local Sensibilities
- The parity that occurs when you partner local filmmakers with local businesses from the same area is something that can not be matched with another model.
- It Has to Be Easy
- Small business owners don’t have time to waste – do a quick shoot – 90minutes, 1 filmmaker crew, shoot while the business is open, no preparation needed, online preview and approval.
- Vanity is Part of the Package
- People are excited about their videos.
- Make that small business owner a hero.
- One-off Production Shops Do Not Scale
- Filmmaker Coverage is Tough
- Getting a filmmaker in NY is easy, in Georgia, not as easy.
- You Need a Trained Network
- Anyone can scale a database.
- Transparency is Critical
- Passing off your customer to a 3rd party shouldn’t be done carelessly.
- Executive Buy-in is Critical
- Sales leadership is important and partners will not be successful without top-down leadership in sales.
- Training is Everything
- “Train baby, Train.”
- Sales training is critical.
- Provide sales tools to make the sales process easy.
- Distribution Drives Success
- Video content is portable.
- Leverage existing online audiences.
- Go vertical for relevant eyeballs.
- Video Search Ranks #2 in Search.
- Youtube is now the #2 search engine next to Google.
- Everyone Loves a Winner
As always, what a great presentation from a real thought-leader in the industry – Brad Inman.
Next is Diaz Nesamoney, Founder and CEO of Jivox – He shows some examples of videos and talks about the need to distribute video to relevant audiences – local search may be the key to that and they just announced today a partnership with .
Glenn Pingul, CMO of Mixpo.com, talks about their focus with offering the Mixpo solution via resellers. They do not sell directly to SMBs but instead provide a robust platform that resellers and partners can use to offer online video marketing for SMBs. We have covered Mixpo many times, if you are at all interested in learning more – check out our
Steve Espinosa from elocallisting is up. He mentions that self-service has not worked well with small and medium sized businesses. They need help. His companies focus on Video SEO – posted video SEO, which we will be discussing in detail next week. They leverage the power of Youtube and other sites with already pre-established authority to more easily rank in organic search engine results pages for local relevant terms.
Frank Lucero fromis now up. He talks about how distribution is important. They distribute the videos amoung various newspapers, yellow pages companies, search engines, and mobile. They are now really focusing on distributing their videos via mobile devices. All you do is send a text SMS message to a given number, and the received message will contain a link to the video that can be played on almost all mobile devices. They are very inexpensive – videos are produced in less than 48 hours and cost as little as $17/month for stock video advertisements.