The saying “you can never have too much of a good thing” doesn’t always apply to every situation; after all, too much food can make you sick and too much sun can get you burnt. Fortunately, when it comes to publishers’ video content, you really can’t have too much of the good thing known as view counts.
In April, the top ten most-watched publishers and video creators from around the world claimed just over 19 billion total views across platforms such as Facebook and YouTube. Plus, the top five creators on April’s Top Cross-Platform Leaderboard pulled in over 2 billion views each. Here’s who led the pack, and how each publisher worked hard to keep audiences engaged and glued to the screen.
Top Online Video Creators: April 2017
If you keep track of the top Facebook publishers each month, you’ll notice close similarities between the top four creators on both that Leaderboard as well as this cross-platform one. These publishers include UNILAD, LADbible, NTD Television, and Viral Thread. Facebook, of course, has an incredibly massive user base which, in some ways, makes it easy for these brands to attract those 3 billion views each and continue to stay on top of the monthly cross-platform Leaderboard.
Here’s a quick breakdown of how each of these four publishers performed in April, including how three of them improved their average first 30-day view counts (V30), an indicator of their content reaching more eyes than in March:
- UNILAD jumped three spots to re-claim the #1 spot on the chart, a position it’s now held eight times since July 2016. The viral entertainment brand, which has yet to be entirely knocked out of the top five publishers since Tubular started publishing these Leaderboards, pulled in nearly 3 billion total views. UNILAD’s most popular video (as seen below) was a short but adorable clip of baby goats wearing pajamas; this content has pulled in 54.1 million views to date.
- LADbible placed second on April’s chart with just over 2.8 billion total views. Similar to UNILAD, the UK-based publisher specializes in viral, highly-shareable content (which also contributes to the extended competition between the two for the top spot on these charts each month). The LADbible also increased its V30 from around 7.143 million in March to 7.159 million last month.
- NTD Television, a news and media brand based out of New York, maintained its third-place spot on the Leaderboard in April with a little more than 2.8 billion views. Like LADbible, the publisher increased its V30 over March by almost 1 million to hit 3.752 million. Last month, NTD also tied with another publisher, The DoDo, for the highest first 30-day engagement rate (ER30) of 1.3x.
- Viral Thread came in fourth last month with 2.7 billion total views, and it’s the third of the top four publishers to increase its V30 over March. The viral content and entertainment brand’s V30 jumped from just over 4.4 million to almost 4.9 million in April.
Music, Lifestyle, DIY Content Popular with Audiences Worldwide
In March, we saw mostly viral entertainment, news, and lifestyle content dominate the Cross-Platform Leaderboard. For April, while those genres still remained strong thanks to publishers like 5-Minute Crafts and MetDaan, viewers around the globe watched more music content than the previous month, and also preferred viral and lifestyle content over news outlets.
Some of the remaining six publishers on the Cross-Platform Leaderboard for April had interesting stats to celebrate:
- Comedy and viral video publisher 9GAG held the same fifth position it boasted in March, but this time increased its overall views from 1.98 billion to almost 2.25 billion. Additionally, 9GAG boasted the highest V30 of all the month’s publishers at 8.4 million. These jumps are likely a result of the brand posting more videos to its accounts in April (552) than it did in March (470), proving that sometimes it’s a good strategy to provide more of what your audience wants.
- Indian record label and music brand T-Series jumped four spots to land sixth last month with almost 1.3 billion total views. This view count is 114 million higher than March’s; unlike 9GAG, though, T-Series didn’t upload a significantly higher amount of videos in April (297 vs. 248 in March). Therefore, it’s most likely the publisher attracted higher views because the quality of its content was so good its audience couldn’t help but watch and share.
- As noted above, Group Nine Media’s The DoDo tied for the highest ER30 at 1.3x. The viral content brand also moved up four ranks over March to place 9th on the Leaderboard with more than 1.1 billion views, a 1 million increase over March’s count.
- Finally, music publisher WorldstarHipHop landed on April’s Leaderboard in tenth after a brief hiatus from the chart in March. The brand’s most popular video was an exclusive music video titled “Get Right Witcha” uploaded to its YouTube channel; the clip pulled in 13.5 million views, boasts a whopping V30 of 10.6 million, and generated an ER30 of 1.1x.
Top Ten Most-Watched Cross-Platform Creators April 2017
- UNILAD (3B Views)
- The LAD Bible (2.8B Views)
- NTD Television (2.8B Views)
- Viral Thread (2.7B Views)
- 9GAG (2.2B Views)
- T-Series (1.3B Views)
- Met Daan (1.2B Views)
- 5-Minute Crafts (1.1B Views)
- The DoDo (1.1B Views)
- WorldstarHipHop (1.1B Views)
Exclusive! Tubular Video Rankings
In this month’s chart we include Tubular Video Ratings, a unique group of online video metrics that set the standard for measurement of views and engagements across videos and publishers. They include a simplified first 30-day engagement rating (ER30) and first 30-day views (V30), and more information can be found here.
Get Access the Full-List of Top 25 Cross-platform Creators
Tune in Every Month for the Most Up-to-Date Stats! Each month TubularInsights will publish the most up-to-date leaderboard charts, so stay tuned! In the meantime, sign up for a free Tubular account and get access to the complete list of the top 25 video creators across YouTube, Facebook, Instagram, and Cross-platform. Get access today just by clicking this link.