Thanks to July’s Facebook leaderboards, we know the top ten most-watched publishers and brands on that platform garnered just over 10.9 billion total views last month. That, of course, doesn’t touch on the billions of views from the remaining 90 publishers in the top 100, and it certainly doesn’t tell us anything about the top trends and insights dominating July’s leaderboard, which video showrunners around the world want to know about so they can improve their own digital strategies. So let’s take a look at those trends and key players from last month, shall we? For starters, here’s the rundown of July’s highlights:
- Five publishers claimed at least 1 billion views each.
- The highest average 30-day engagement rate (ER30) of the top ten publishers hit 1.7x, while the highest ER30 of the top 100 publishers hit just over 2.8x, almost 3 times a normal engagement rate.
- The best 30-day average (V30) from the top ten was more than 15.4 million, while the best overall V30 across the top 100 publishers landed at 24.2 million.
- Out of all 100 publishers, six of them increased rankings by at least 100 positions each, with the position change of 530 spots being the highest of all.
Top Facebook Video Publishers July 2018
July’s top ten Facebook publishers and brands are familiar faces to Tubular’s monthly leaderboard, such as UNILAD and The Dodo. The most change in views, however, tends to occur farther down the leaderboard across the top 100 publishers, and that’s certainly what we saw this month. Two media brands , in particular,saw fantastic view gains for some of their sub-properties, and there were a few new faces from the viral and animal-based content genres, as well. Let’s take a look:
Two Media Brands See Substantial View Growth in July
You know your brand is doing something right when several of your properties move leaps and bounds up the leaderboard due to millions of more views. In July, both the UK-based MediaChain and Germany-based Axel Springer experienced this phenomenon, with the media giants massively increasing their views and growth on some of their select properties.
MediaChain, for example, runs the Facebook pages for viral entertainment brand SeeMore and the what I’m calling the “life experiences” comedy brand 9 to 5 Life, because it provides witty commentary-style videos on everyday happenings in life like work, school, and family. SeeMore bumped up 12 spots to land at #12 thanks to almost 640 million views, while 9 to 5 Life gained a highly-enviable 307 positions to place seventeenth with nearly 491 million views! Why did these two pages gain more video views in July? It likely has to do with both media brands providing more of the exact content their audiences want to see, as both increased their number of uploads in July (SeeMore had 294 videos vs. June’s 261, 9 to 5 Life had 286 videos vs. July’s 99). More videos inevitably means more eyeballs, but SeeMore and 9 to 5 Life also succeeded in gaining more traction thanks to on-point content their audiences love.
Like MediaChain, Axel Springer enjoyed the benefits of higher viewership in July, too, mainly across its family of Insider-related properties. For example, across the month’s top 100 publishers, we saw INSIDER Presents at #54 after jumping up 66 positions, DESSERT Insider at #57 after moving up 48 spots, STYLE Insider placing #78 after gaining an impressive 118 positions, and INVENTIONS Insider landing at #89 thanks to an increase of 26 spots. Now, all these brands are Facebook Watch shows, which means they probably had paid and organic promotion going for them, along with pushes from Facebook’s own algorithm. That being said, both INSIDER Presents and DESSERT Insider worked with sponsors on a few videos in late June and early July, which also helped increase their viewership; this video about a dress-zipping tool, for example, was sponsored by Delta Hotels and pulled in 4.7 million views to date.
Viral Entertainment and Positive Content Moves Up the Charts
MediaChain’s properties mentioned above are definitely considered viral entertainment, and it’s no surprise they performed well in July. Viral content has made a clear home for itself on Facebook, which is why media brands who specialize in this format tend to do well in terms of views and engagement. That was the case for a few other properties on July’s Facebook leaderboard, as well:
- RecreoViral, which features viral and comedy content in Spanish, placed #59 thanks to a position increase of 52 spots.
- At #68 was Genial, another Spanish-language brand which moved up 207 spots thanks to its “interesting facts”-style video posts about life, science, history, and more.
- Inspirational brand Sharing is Caring hit #75 after a 95-position increase.
- Positivity-themed Now I’ve Seen Everything landed at #83 after moving up 107 spots.
- Animal content brand Snapped In The Wild jumped a whopping 530 positions (the most of any of the top 100 publishers) to place eighty-eighth.
- The Facebook Watch show Howlers Presents, which boasts hilarious fails and funny moments content similar to what you’d see on America’s Funniest Videos, claimed #100 after an increase of 128 spots.
Clearly, viral entertainment reigns on Facebook. But could there have been any other reason to its massive viewership in July? Maybe during the last full month of summer before school starts (at least here in the U.S.), internet users were spending their free time watching content that made them laugh or gaze in wonder. Who wants to be watching sad content on your vacation, anyway? Regardless of whether or not summer’s free time contributed directly to the growth in these viral entertainment publishers’ views, it’s important for like-minded brands to pay attention to the monthly ebbs and flows of viewership trends so they can apply this knowledge to their own digital video efforts. Now go do just that!
Tubular Video Ratings
You’ll notice some exclusive data in this month’s chart as we include Tubular Video Ratings, a unique group of online video metrics that set the standard for measurement of views and engagements across videos and publishers. They include a simplified first 30-day engagement rating (ER30) and first 30-day views (V30), and more information can be found here.
Get the Full-List of Top 25 Video Publishers on Facebook & Other Video Platforms
Tune in Every Month for the Most Up-to-Date Stats! Each month TubularInsights will publish the most up-to-date leaderboard charts, so stay tuned! In the meantime, sign up for a free Tubular account and get access to the complete list of the top 25 video creators across YouTube, Facebook, and Cross-platform. Get access today just by clicking this link.