Ok, so I planned to do this much earlier, but the truth is, I’m not a professional designer or coder. That is, I didnt used to be. After a few months of learning some basic PHP stuff, CSS styling, and other thing-a-ma-bobs late at night, I’ve overhauled ReelSEO with what I think is a refreshing new look and feel. I hope that you all like it.
At first, you may think, “Well, it isnt all that different, is it?” Of course, I didnt want to deviate too much from what we had. But, the truth is, there is a lot that has changed. The goal here was to launch new site, that is easier to read and follow.
Here are a few things that have changed:
- Overall cleaner styling, wider main colum, 2 column vs 3, larger type, better spacing, etc…
- New header, without the UGLY 486*60 old-school IAB banner ad
- New navigation, complete with category drop down, an archive page, and links to videos (more on that in a min.)
- Subscribe and follow icons and links in the header
- Tabbed section for most popular articles, most recent articles, and most recent comments.
- Contextually related tags – titled “Online Video Topics”
- New search functionality that uses wordpress instead of Google Search – lots of good reasons for that
- New commenting system
- You can now embed polls and Youtube videos within comments
- You can rank, sort, and report comments
- Soon to have facebook login capabilities in addition to OpenID.
- New advertising placements
- Soon to include self-service capabilities for those who would like to take advantage of our growing, educated, online video audience
- Media kid and advertising page to follow
- On post pages, check out the sidebar – I’ve added contextually related posts
- New “Videos about Online Video” sidbar widget and site – http://tv.reelseo.com
- And more…
Other things that I’m hoping to launch this year, pending time:
Aside from the relaunch, here are some additional things that I am working on and hope to have in 2009:
- Forum for questions on video marketing, video publishing, video SEO, and other related topics – Any potential moderators interested?
- Directory of online video services and companies
- Facebook page and other social media profiles
- Advertising and sponsorship opportunities and media kit
- Opportunities for those potential authors out there to help us churn out more good news, tips, and online video good-ness.
Should I change ReelSEO to a new name?
Here is the thought…. While I started this due to my interest in SEO, it quickly became apparent that in order to “optimize” online video, I really needed to learn more and more about all aspects of online video, including: video publishing, video production, video editing, video search, video sharing, etc… I quickly fell in love with the industry as a whole and now think that it is important to stay on top of all the happenings with regard to HD video, mobile video, video advertising, video marketing, etc… etc….
As a result, as you may have noticed, ReelSEO has much more to offer to our readers than just search engine optimization advice. So, perhaps it is time for a name that is less “specific” to SEO? Just a thought. Id love to have your feedback as it is a decision that is a hard one to make, especially when you consider the following we have obtained, as well as the brand, which is now quite well-known…
In Conclusion – I value your feedback:
Anyways, thank you all for the support over the years and I hope that this new launch helps make it easier to come back and give us some lovin’. ;-) After all, I’m going to need it if I’m ever going to take the leap and follow in the footsteps of my new hero, Nalts. Not to mention, it would be nice to get rid of these Google Ads, right?
Please know that I plan to continue to enhance the site over the next few months with additional optimization, increased load-time, interactive features, etc… I am open to any suggestions and feedback that you all might have.
Please post your comments below. Additionally, please let me know if you find any major bugs or problems so I can get those fixed immediately.