Mobile video ads generate more than 4 times the click-through rate of direct-response ads?
That’s the conclusion of a study recently completed by MobiTV, the mobile television provider that counts more than 3 million customers for its video-on-cell-phone service.
MobiTV, Inc., the leader in mobile and broadband entertainment services, today announced the release of ground-breaking mobile television advertising and viewership data. With more than 60 million handsets enabled with the MobiTV(R) service in the U.S. market and three million plus subscriptions, MobiTV has an unsurpassed depth of knowledge and experience in mobile video consumption. Through today’s announcement, the Company is providing key insights into the performance of advertising and branded experiences, as well as usage of mobile television in the U.S. market.
“MobiTV continues to set new benchmarks in mobile television advertising and uptake,” said Charlie Nooney, CEO and chairman, MobiTV. “With the largest mobile television advertising network, MobiTV has become the partner of choice for brand marketers looking to create and test innovative, interactive campaigns that reach mobile consumers.”
As part of its ongoing data collection and analysis process, MobiTV has confirmed that targeted mobile television advertising and branded experiences provide increased ad receptivity for marketers. Recent interactive tests have demonstrated that viewers of the MobiTV service not only watch, but also take action on contextually-based ads. The recently completed advertising test program documented that users of the MobiTV service engaged with ads they viewed through the service at a rate 300 percent above direct response industry standards.
MobiTV’s flagship advertising engagement test program also included integrated campaigns and branded channels, providing marketers with unique and interactive ways to tie-in their brands and products with viewers’ favorite small screen entertainment experiences. Utilizing interactivity options, viewers of the MobiTV service moved readily from watching 30-second television ads to taking action to learn more about products and offers through click-to- dial invitations; deep links to WAP sites; viewing advertiser-branded channels for a deeper brand experience and much more. In fact, MobiTV saw several branded channels gain in popularity with usage that rivaled some of their premium channels.
“Using MobiTV’s advertising platform and branded channel experiences, advertisers now have the ability to go beyond simply targeting their audiences on mobile phones, they can create compelling, branded entertainment experiences that connect viewers with their products and offers in a new and compelling way,” said Jack Hallahan, vice president, advertising and brand partnerships, MobiTV. “This year will see mobile video ads become significant to the small screen medium, answering many of mobile advertising’s challenges by providing easier to find and more focused opportunities.”
Beyond sharing key data from its leading mobile advertising platform, MobiTV today also released key subscriber usage information including the following response-based data:
- 9% of MobiTV’s users watch in their office or home with a “watching apparatus”
- 43% of parent users utilize the MobiTV service to entertain kids in the car
- 67% of users have shown the MobiTV service at a party or other social gathering
- 85% of MobiTV’s users say they watch more TV at home since signing up for the MobiTV service
MobiTV reaches more than three million adult viewers between the ages of 18 and 49, who subscribe to more than 50 live TV channels and/or digital music. Key audience demographic and psychographic data points include:
- They love television
- They are highly mobile
- They are technophiles, trend setters, mavens who drive tech purchases, both within corporations and amongst their friends
- They are 67% male and 33% female
- 82% are between the ages of 18 and 39 and the remaining 18% are 40 years of age and older.
MobiTV collected the above usage and advertising data and metrics from its proprietary mobile advertising platform during H2 of 2007.