comScore released data from the comScore Video Metrix service, indicating that 25.9 million German Internet users viewed more than 3 billion videos online in August 2008. comScore Video Metrix, which was the first video tracking service introduced in the U.S. more than two years ago, has become a leading service for online video measurement and is the only service of its kind in Germany.
Google Sites, driven by the popularity of YouTube.com (which accounted for 95 percent of all videos viewed on the property in August), attracted a 52-percent share of all online videos viewed in Germany. Ranking after Google Sites were two German properties, ProSiebenSat1 Sites (1.5 percent share) and RTL Group Sites (1.1 percent share).
Top German Online Video Properties* Ranked by Videos Viewed August 2008 Total Germany - Age 15+, Home & Work Locations** Source: comScore Video Metrix Property Videos (000) Share (%) of Videos Total Internet : Total Audience 3,052,670 100.0% Google Sites 1,590,301 52.1% ProSiebenSat1 Sites 46,237 1.5% RTL Group Sites 33,527 1.1% Megavideo.com 31,522 1.0% Universal Music Group 27,534 0.9% Microsoft Sites 11,816 0.4% Lokalisten.de 10,497 0.3% Viacom Digital 9,748 0.3% Yahoo! Sites 8,322 0.3% Dailymotion.com 7,377 0.2% German Internet Users Watched 118 Videos per Viewer in August
Nearly 26 million German Internet users watched an average of 117.6 videos per viewer in August. Google Sites also had the most viewers (16.7 million), who watched an average of 95.5 videos per person. Universal Music Group drew the second most viewers (8.9 million), followed by RTL Group Sites (4.4 million) and ProSiebenSat1 Sites (4 million).
Top German Online Video Properties* Ranked by Total Unique Viewers August 2008 Total Germany - Age 15+, Home & Work Locations** Source: comScore Video Metrix Total Unique Average Videos Property Viewers (000) per Viewer Total Internet : Total Audience 25,958 117.6 Google Sites 16,652 95.5 Universal Music Group 8,879 3.1 RTL Group Sites 4,449 7.5 ProSiebenSat1 Sites 4,007 11.5 Megavideo.com 2,090 15.1 Microsoft Sites 1,915 6.2 Viacom Digital 1,643 5.9 Yahoo! Sites 1,375 6.1 Fox Interactive Media 1,342 3.5 Axel Springer AG 1,083 5.2
Other notable findings from August 2008 include:
- 73.2 percent of the total German Internet audience viewed online video.
- 16.4 million viewers watched over 1.5 billion videos on YouTube.com (95.3 videos per viewer).
- The average online video duration was 4.3 minutes, the longest of any of the five comScore Video Metrix countries (which also include the U.S., Canada, U.K. and France).
- The combined German online video viewing audience watched a total 219 million hours of video content.
- According to comScore M: Metrics, 3.1 million mobile phone subscribers used their phone to watch any kind of TV or video in Germany, of which 46.7 percent were younger than 25 years of age, based on a three month average ending August 2008.