YouTube owes a lot of their success to the music industry. Roughly 80% of the top 20 viewed videos of all time on YouTube are music videos from artists like Eminem, Justin Bieber, and Lady Gaga. But the company knows how important music is to its users, so they’ve just unveiled a brand new YouTube Music page that is completely redesigned and adds a lot of new bells and whistles.
New YouTube Music Page
Say hello to the new YouTube/Music:
What do you get with the new YouTube Music page? I’m glad you asked:
- Recommended videos based on music videos you’ve already watched.
- Concert listings in your geographical area (along with music videos from those artists).
- The YouTube Top 100 – Sort of a Billboard Top 100 for YouTube music videos, as determined by the communities viewing habits.
- Expert opinions and suggestions in the form of human curation from music entities such as SPIN magazine.
- Music vlogger features–the best of the music video bloggers on YouTube will begin getting featured on the new Music page.
The company is also taking a page from the Google book by putting out special YouTube logos (across the entire site) to celebrate the new Music page. Each new temporary logo links curious viewers directly to the new Music page.
Here’s a video they put out to help explain the overhaul of the Music page and their reasoning behind it:
The coolest feature by far, to me, is the concert listings. Being able to learn that the artist whose video I’m watching right now is actually going to be in concert in my home town next month is very handy.
I’m not personally a huge fan of music videos, but clearly there are millions who are. Hopefully this new Music page will make it easier for those fans to find and watch the music videos they’re most interested in.