For the last two releases of our Leaderboard charts, the top ten channels on YouTube have repeatedly increased the amount of video views they pulled in each month, and this trend continued in April. The ten most-watched brands and creators on YouTube pulled in almost 7.4 billion video views this month, an increase over March.
The most interesting aspect of April’s leading channels, however, is how three of them in particular jumped at least four spots each to improve their overall rankings on the Leaderboard. Which channels were these and why were they so popular last month? We’ll go over these channels and more below.
Top YouTube Channels April 2017
YouTube Fans Threw Views at Wrestling, Music, and Toys
Thanks to the viewing habits of their particular YouTube audiences, three channels on April’s Leaderboard significantly increased their overall views, and therefore their positions on the chart. It seems wrestling, music, and toys were at the forefront of viewers’ minds in April.
The first was the WWE, which has always had a strong presence on YouTube and has landed in the top ten since November 2016. This time around, the WWE’s channel moved up four spots to land at #3 in April. The brand pulled in more than 780 million total views for the month, an increase of 241 million views over March. This growth can be attributed to several important events from the WWE in April; a few of the channel’s most popular clips from the month include coverage of WrestleMania 33, SmackDown LIVE, and wrestler John Cena’s proposal to fellow WWE star Nikki Bella.
The next channel which significantly increased its standing on April’s Leaderboard was the VEVO account of singer Luis Fonsi. With only 17% of his total social reach on YouTube, the Puerto Rican performer uploaded only one video in April (an audio version of his and Daddy Yankee’s song “Despacito” featuring Justin Bieber), but still pulled in 580 million views on YouTube, or 97% of his total video views across all platforms. This single clip bumped him up an extraordinary 12 whole spots on the Leaderboard.
Finally, we have ToyScouter, a kid-friendly YouTube channel which creates educational content, unboxing videos, and family entertainment videos. This channel claimed more than 515 million views in April to jump six spots and land at #9 on the Leaderboard. While family entertainment has always done well in terms of views on YouTube (as proven by Ryan ToysReview, which continually lands in the top ten channels), ToyScouter managed to attract a lot more attention in April thanks to several real-life skits featuring villains, superheroes, and Disney princesses.
Other Channels Boasted or Increased Solid Metrics
While several of the channels on the remainder of April’s Leaderboard are familiar names, a few of them had their own unique figures to boast about:
- In February, Ed Sheeran bounced to the 3rd position on the most-watched YouTube Leaderboard thanks to the release of several new songs from his upcoming album. The UK-based singer has remained on the Leaderboard through both March and now April, claiming the highest average first 30-day view count (V30) out of all of April’s top channels at almost 37 million. Sheeran can also claim the title of the channel with the highest average first 30-day engagement rate (ER30) at 1.8x, just 0.1x higher than the ER30 of Brazil’s music and media brand Canal KondZilla.
- Speaking of Canal KondZilla, this YouTube channel maintained its 5th position on the Leaderboard for April, also managing to increase its V30 by 859,000 to hit 8.9 million and increase its total views to almost 750 million (a nearly 50 million increase over March’s count). Clearly, Canal KondZilla is attuned to the content its audience members want to watch and will share with their friends and family.
- Like Canal, SET India also increased its V30 and total view count in April. the Indian branch of Sony Pictures Entertainment claimed a V30 of just over 719,000, an increase of 15,000 over March’s 702,000. Additionally, SET India saw its total monthly views in April bounce to more than 720 million, up from 684 million in March.
Most Watched YouTube Publishers April 2017
- T-Series (1.3B Views)
- Ryan ToysReview (811M Views)
- WWE (785M Views)
- Ed Sheeran (750M Views)
- Canal KondZilla (749M Views)
- SET India (721M Views)
- Workpoint Entertainment (702M Views)
- Luis Fonsi (580M Views)
- ToyScouter (516M Views)
- netd müzik (508M Views)
Tubular Video Ratings
You’ll notice some exclusive data in this month’s chart as we include Tubular Video Ratings, a unique group of online video metrics that set the standard for measurement of views and engagements across videos and publishers. They include a simplified first 30-day engagement rating (ER30) and first 30-day views (V30), and more information can be found here.
Get the Full-List of Top 25 Video Publishers on YouTube
Tune in Every Month for the Most Up-to-Date Stats! Each month TubularInsights will publish the most up-to-date leaderboard charts, so stay tuned! In the meantime, sign up for a free Tubular account and get access to the complete list of the top 25 video creators across YouTube, Facebook, Instagram, and Cross-platform. Get access today just by clicking this link.