YouTube viewers again proved their affinity for music, children and family content, and international entertainment for Tubular’s February installation of its Most-Watched Creators on YouTube leaderboard. Last month, the top ten most-watched YouTube channels pulled in over 5.6 billion views, with one particular British singer dominating the 30-day engagement and view rate metrics. For brands and video marketers curious about who’s placing on the leaderboards for Google’s online video site, here’s a rundown of the top ten YouTube creators and brands from February.
Top YouTube Channels February 2017
Ed Sheeran: YouTube Winner
Coming in at the third spot was UK’s hit musician Ed Sheeran. His channel alone pulled in over 642 million views in February, but that’s not even the most impressive stat. His average 30-day views (V30) and engagements (ER30) beat out all other creators on this month’s leaderboard. Sheeran saw a V30 of more than 140 million; the next-highest V30 for February was at a mere 12 million, 128 million fewer average views than Sheeran. The UK-based singer also claimed an ER30 of 1.9x, almost twice the baseline average for engagements across all of YouTube. This number is also 0.3 higher than the 1.6x ER30 of the next runner-up.
The success of Sheeran’s YouTube channel for February 2017 coincides with the release of his newest and third album, ÷ (aka Divide), on March 3. However, before the album even launched, Sheeran chose to release two of his songs, “Castle on the Hill” and “Shape of You,” back in early January. Then, on his birthday on February 17, the singer released a third song from the album titled “How Would You Feel (Paean).”
All of these sneak peaks, plus the full upload of Divide to YouTube on release day, skyrocketed Sheeran’s views, engagements, and standing on the video site, which inevitably led to music industry experts voicing their frustration and concerns about the way video and music streaming sites are impacting singles charts. Sheeran’s most-watched clip from all of February was the music video for “How Would You Feel (Paean)”, which pulled in almost 25 million views and 667,000 likes and comments on YouTube.
YouTube Still a Primary Destination for Entertainment
Moving past Ed Sheeran’s success, Tubular’s February leaderboard for most-watched creators and brands on YouTube included several other music labels, as well as international entertainment companies and (you guessed it) family-friendly, toy-based content. While Facebook users seem to prefer sharing viral content, this month’s leaderboard holders prove YouTube audiences tend to use the platform for its entertainment value.
India’s popular music and entertainment label T-Series held its position at the top of the YouTube leaderboard; in January, the brand had 863 million views, but for last month it bumped that count up to more than 910 million. Unsurprisingly, the fan-favorite Ryan ToysReview channel maintained its second place spot with almost 724 million total views, an increase of 8 million views over January.
Here are some of the more interesting stats for February’s top creators:
- ChainsmokersVEVO, while coming in tenth place on the leaderboard with almost 384 million video views, claimed the second-highest V30 of all creators at 12 million (besides Ed Sheeran, of course).
- YouTube viewers seemed especially eager to watch and interact with music content in February, as the Brazilian music video brand Canal KondZilla came in fourth with nearly 614 million views and the second-highest ER30 of 1.6x. The music brand also claimed the third-highest average 30-day views across the top ten YouTube creators with a V30 of almost 8 million.
- SET India (the India branch of Sony Entertainment Television), Turkish music brand netd müzik, Thailand’s Workpoint Entertainment channel, and the WWE all showed up on this month’s leaderboard again, albeit with some shuffling around of positions. SET India’s 565 million views still beat out netd müzik’s 473 million views, which also managed to beat out Workpoint’s 459 million views, a similar pattern we saw in January. The WWE, however, was bumped below Workpoint for February with 451 million views.
- Finally, the Argentinian-based channel El Reino Infantil worked its way into this month’s most-watched YouTube leaderboard with 385 million views, with its most popular clip “Cinco Monitos” claiming 1.6 million views alone. The brand produces children’s entertainment programming, which rarely produces good ER30 (Infantil could only claim 0.2x this month), but which tends to do fairly well with average 30-day views as children will continue to watch videos until someone stops them. For example, Infantil’s 1.4 million V30 was higher than any of the V30 stats from SET India, netd müzik, Workpoint Entertainment, and the WWE.
Most Watched YouTube Publishers February 2017
- T-Series (910M Views)
- Ryan ToysReview (724M Views)
- Ed Sheeran (642M Views)
- Canal KondZilla (614M Views)
- SET India (565M Views)
- netd müzik (473M Views)
- Workpoint Entertainment (459M Views)
- WWE (451M Views)
- El Reino Infantil (385M Views)
- ChainsmokersVEVO (384M Views)
Tubular Video Ratings
You’ll notice some exclusive data in this month’s chart as we include Tubular Video Ratings, a unique group of online video metrics that set the standard for measurement of views and engagements across videos and publishers. They include a simplified first 30-day engagement rating (ER30) and first 30-day views (V30), and more information can be found here.
Tune in Every Month for the Most Up-to-Date Stats! Each month TubularInsights will publish the most up-to-date leaderboard charts, so stay tuned! In the meantime, if you’d like to check out the Top 25, please fill out the form below: