According to a 2014 report from the U.N., there’s an 80% chance the world’s population could reach 12.3 billion people by 2100. But what does this have to do with video? Well, there’s a similar stat which TubularInsights readers might be interested in: 12.3 billion total video views. This is what the top ten Facebook publishers pulled in for the month of February 2018 alone.
In terms of publishers’ achievements, February was a doozie (yes, we’re being highly technical here). Perhaps the biggest success story from this month was how seven out of the top ten most-watched publishers improved their rankings by at least one position or up to 18 whopping positions! Here’s what else we discovered when we looked at this month’s Facebook leaderboard:
- Two publishers improved their rankings by 18 positions each; both of these publishers have also never placed on the chart before
- The highest average 30-day view count (V30) from one publisher reached an astounding 25.2 million
- The highest average 30-day engagement rate (ER30) of 1.5x was maintained by a long-time top ten publisher
Let’s take a look at which publishers performed so well in February they managed to land on the leaderboard, and figure out why they may have gotten there!
Top Facebook Publishers February 2018
The Reign of Virality Endures (With One Change)
Think of your most favorite rivalry. It might be between two sports teams, like the Raiders versus the Chargers, or Manchester United versus Liverpool. It might be between Ford lovers and Chevy enthusiasts. It could even be between favorite brands of soda, like Coke and Pepsi. For Tubular’s leaderboards, at least, the biggest and longest-running rivalry has and will continue to be for the foreseeable future between viral-leaning publishers LADbible and UNILAD.
Normally, one of these publishers is always in the #1 spot with the other one claiming #2. For the month of February, it was the order noted above: LADbible claimed first this month with almost 2.5 billion total views on Facebook! The last time LADbible was #1 was back in November 2017, so it’s a victory for the publisher to reclaim the throne from UNILAD, which pulled in over 2.1 billion total views in February. These publishers are widely popular for their viral, shareable content; in that sense, it’s not hard to see why they’re always in the top few spots. Both tend to get good V30 stats (UNILAD had the highest V30 between the two in February at 5.5 million), as well as decent ER30s (again, UNILAD claimed the best ER30 of these two at 1.1x).
But another publisher is almost always ready to snag the spotlight from these two, and that is VT. The Jungle Creations brand is super close behind with nearly 2 billion total views in February, while also carrying very similar stats of 5 million for its V30 and 1x for its ER30. VT has maintained its third place position for almost a full year now, since it landed there in May 2017 after bumping up one spot from fourth. It would be interesting to see what VT might do to try bumping LADbible or UNILAD out of their positions and claiming the honor of second or even first place.
Curious to see which of these three publishers had the most-watched video on Facebook in February? That would be LADbible, who also boasted seven out of the top ten videos from these three publishers last month! The compilation clip below featuring cats being interesting, cute, silly, or outright ridiculous was the ultimate winner, though. The combination of cats plus the internet inevitably means views, which was the case with this fun time-waster; it’s generated 50.6 million total views to date, with 39.5 million of these coming within the first seven days of its upload (which was the last week of February — imagine the views it may have received over the whole month if it was uploaded earlier!).
Science and DIY Content Skyrockets Up the Chart
The remaining seven publishers on February’s leaderboard all have their own little wins, but there are two in particular we must talk about. Why? They both skipped 18 whole positions each to claim the seventh and tenth positions, after having never been on Tubular’s top ten leaderboard ever. Obviously, they both did something right for their audiences and to attract new reach, so we’re going to investigate how that worked.
For starters, we have Hashem Al-Ghaili. This is the page of the titular video publisher and self-described science communicator from Berlin, Germany; he’s dedicated his page “to sharing my passion for science, technology and nature with all of you.” And it certainly seems he shared that passion well in February, having jumped from #25 in January to #7 for this leaderboard thanks to more than 680 million views. The publisher also posted a great V30 of 7.5 million and a higher-than-average ER30 of 1.3x; clearly, his content is engaging the right people. And the piece most of them watched? A clip about common dental procedures pulled in a massive 141 million views and was the 6th most-watched video across all of Facebook in February!
Next up is DIY & Crafts, which also jumped 18 spots to place tenth on February’s leaderboard. With more than 620 million total video views that month, this publisher has been steadily working its way up the ranks to finally land in the top ten. It started at #937 in June 2017, and was at #17 in November 2017 before moving down to #28 in January of this year. Now, thanks to the enduring appeal of DIY and how-to content on Facebook, the publisher truly has bragging rights as one of the most-watched video creators on that platform.
Here’s what the other five publishers accomplished in February:
- Rick Lax Has Friends, which was a new publisher to the leaderboards in January, has successfully stayed on the charts for this month. With more than 1.2 billion total video views, the page for crazy stunts and pranks related to the entertainer’s friends landed at #5 after jumping five whole positions! The publisher also boasted the highest V30 of the top ten brands on the leaderboard in February at a mind-blowing 25.2 million, 17.4 million higher than the next V30!
- BuzzFeed property Tasty also remained on the leaderboard this month thanks to almost 1.2 billion total views. This publisher was the one to claim the second-highest V30 out of them all at 7.8 million; that number is also a solid 300,000 view improvement over Tasty’s January stat of 7.5 million!
- Group Nine Media’s The Dodo came in #6, an improvement of two positions over January, with nearly 811 million total views. Long-time followers of our leaderboards know that this publisher usually claims the highest ER30 of the top ten publishers, and February was no exception. The Dodo saw a 1.5x ER30, the same it held last month and a good 0.2x higher than the next-best ER30 of this month’s publishers.
- Next was NTD Funniest in eighth place in February with 644 million total views. After climbing four whole positions since January, the publisher also saw a higher-than-average ER30 of 1.3x, the second-highest stat of that kind across all February’s top Facebook publishers.
- Finally, Food Network reappeared on the leaderboard, and with a fantastic comeback no less. Thanks to 630 million views, the publisher leaped eight full positions to place ninth and reclaim a spot on the charts.
February’s Top Videos Stem from Up-and-Coming Publisher
We have to add a quick section here about the most-watched videos on Facebook in February, and the reason is that very few of them were from any of the publishers already mentioned in this article. Normally, we see many of the top ten videos on Facebook each month hailing from a some of the top ten publishers, like the video from Hashem Al-Ghaili and a clip from Rick Lax Has Friends which placed 10th. But February decided it didn’t necessarily want to follow this same tradition, and it’s all thanks to newcomer The Daily Heartbeat.
Launched by well-known viral video brand Jukin Media just last month as part of the Facebook Watch program, the publisher already has enough views to place #12 for the month (589 million views, to be exact). And that many eyeballs apparently translated to some of the most popular videos for the entire month, even though The Daily Heartbeat hasn’t made it to the top ten publishers leaderboard yet.
Out of the ten most-watched clips from Facebook video accounts in the month of February, the first three were from this publisher alone, with a combined 629 million total views to date! The top video about animals playing hide and seek has 249 million total views, with 230 million of these showing up before the month’s end. This video is also the 8th most-watched cross-platform clip for the month of February; The Daily Heartbeat also claimed the 10th most-watched cross-platform clip for the month with a video about humans reuniting with dogs at 151 million total views in February and 198 million to date.
So what does this mean? If Jukin plays its cards right, the brand could easily see its property The Daily Heartbeat place in the top ten very soon. Even if it doesn’t, its participation in the Facebook Watch video platform will likely help it continue to rack up views and claim the most-watched clips across all of Facebook each month.
Most Watched Facebook Publishers February 2018
- LADbible (2.5B Views)
- UNILAD (2.1B Views)
- VT (2B Views)
- Rick Lax Has Friends (1.2B Views)
- Tasty (1.2B Views)
- The Dodo (811M Views)
- Hashem Al-Ghaili (681M Views)
- NTD Funniest (644M Views)
- Food Network (630M Views)
- DIY & Crafts (620M Views)
Tubular Video Ratings
You’ll notice some exclusive data in this month’s chart as we include Tubular Video Ratings, a unique group of online video metrics that set the standard for measurement of views and engagements across videos and publishers. They include a simplified first 30-day engagement rating (ER30) and first 30-day views (V30), and more information can be found here.
Get the Full-List of Top 25 Video Publishers on Facebook & Other Video Platforms
Tune in Every Month for the Most Up-to-Date Stats! Each month TubularInsights will publish the most up-to-date leaderboard charts, so stay tuned! In the meantime, sign up for a free Tubular account and get access to the complete list of the top 25 video creators across YouTube, Facebook, and Cross-platform. Get access today just by clicking this link.