As users upload videos and share them with their friends, your video contest will form a viral loop and begin to naturally promote itself. Until then however, it’s worthwhile investing some time & effort in promoting your contest and in the first section of the ‘Promoting on a Budget’ chapter of this series, we will look at several ways you can use paid media to create awareness and drive traffic to your contest site.
Create A Contest Video
A contest video is an advertisement for your contest that explains and promotes it. It should outline the prizes, how to enter and when to enter by and include a distinct call to action. If applicable, utilise familiar faces such as sponsored athletes as they usually are more relatable in social networks than a brand itself. Consider the following ways of re-positioning the video to get the most out of the investment:
- Launch it through your social channels first to give your fans the ability to enter first. (Statistics show the #1 reason for ‘liking’ a brand on Facebook is exclusive content or offers and this is a great way to give the fans what they want.)
- Include it on the contest site so users who stumble across the site through other advertising can learn about the contest in an engaging way.
- Utilise video advert networks such as BrightRoll to put your advert in front of your target market on other sites or go direct to industry specific sites.
- Put the video as a pre or post roll advertisement on the contest site to engage users who are viewing their friends’ videos.
- Utilise the video to enhance your listing on Directory Sites.
Facebook offers a robust and highly targeted advertising system that blends with organic results to increase click through rates and boost brand recall.
If you are running the contest through Facebook using our dedicated Facebook application the analytics system tracks advanced metrics such as conversions, giving you complete insight into the contribution this medium has made to the overall campaign.
Google AdWords can be an effective way of driving targeted traffic to your contest. By purchasing AdWords against common search terms amongst your target market you can create highly targeted campaigns that only cost you when a user clicks through to your site.
Mass Media such as TV & Radio can be a very effective way of achieving awareness at scale but can also be expensive and untargeted. Consider your target market, where they primarily engage and the nature of your contest before investing in this medium. It can also be helpful to engage the services of creative agencies and media agencies to ensure the advertisement is effective and that it is being aired in the best channels and timeslots to reach your target market.
There are a number of online video contest directories that list all the video contests happening on the web. These sites usually have an engaged audience of filmmakers actively looking for contests to enter and can be a great way to drive quality submissions. That said if you are looking to engage a niche audience the traffic and entries from these sites may not be as targeted as other mediums.