History teaches us a lot about the future, and video marketing is a constantly evolving discipline that we need to keep on top of. Rob Ciampa of tech company Pixability gave attendees at the 2014 ReelSummit some exclusive brand data on YouTube, which highlighted how earned media is driving more engagement and views that branded content could ever hope to. Independent creators, and viewers with their own agendas, are driving the way content is performing and being consumed. His presentation is mandatory viewing for brands who are looking to get it right on YouTube.

Stop Drinking the KoolAid: Viral Isn’t a Strategy

Rob argues that planning your business around viral video, is like planning your retirement around that winning lottery ticket. Viral videos are entertaining, but are they really viral? What does that even mean? Most times having a ‘viral’ video hit does nothing for the business, and the success almost cannot be replicated.

Also, when people share video content, it doesn’t always follow that they have brand loyalty, that they are doing it ‘for the brand’.

is it really a viral video

Between 2011 and 2014, many brands were using YouTube as a place for repurposed commercials and a Smörgåsbord of video “stuff” that the brands and agencies didn’t know what to do with. That was a huge mistake for many brands as they didn’t understand that the digital audience expects something different. The brands got it wrong, but many, many YouTube creators got it right….

How Brands Got it Wrong But Creators Got it Right

We are now in the ‘The Industry Phase’ where independent creators, consumers, brands, networks, and agencies cohabiting in the YouTube space. Earlier this year, Pixability took a deep-dive into the beauty industry on YouTube and how brands are faring. The answer was they weren’t faring so well at all, especially against ‘amateur’ YouTube creators

In the beauty business, ‘share of voice’ is huge because it indicates how much of a presence you have in the market. On YouTube, beauty brands have a tiny ‘share of voice’ compared to unbranded and unaffiliated beauty vloggers. How tiny? Around 3% – which means that beauty gurus such as Michelle Phan are grabbing the other 97% of the market. Consumer Electronic brands fare slightly better with a 25% share of the views on YouTube.

share of voice youtube

How Consumers Search – and What They Search For

YouTube is the second largest search engine in the world, but users treat it differently than they do Google, or Bing. YouTube viewers search differently, they are searching the site to make decisions about future purchases. Brands need to understand the difference in user intent so that they can incorporate that into their digital strategy. More information can be found in this post: YouTube Keyword Research vs Google Keyword Research: There’s a Difference!

youtube search

Key Takeaways:

  • One size doesn’t fit all on YouTube. It’s now about industries.
  • Brands need Earned Media, vloggers need brands – find a way to make it work.
  • Understand how consumers search and what they search for.
  • Embrace the industry ecosystem.
  • Be Predictable.
  • Measure what matters.

We’d like to thank Rob for giving attendees of the ReelSummit an amazing insight into what brands can do to be successful on YouTube.