With at least 400 hours worth of video uploaded to YouTube every single minute, you would expect a good majority of that content to generate a substantial number of the total views on the site. But, incredibly, only 5% of the videos posted to YouTube are driving most of the views.
According to Tubular, there are 58.6 million videos on YouTube with 10K+ views or more. In total, these uploads have generated 7.4 trillion views on the platform, or around 95% of the total all time view count. With at least 1.1 billion videos generating 7.8 trillion view all time views, just 5% of that sum total are generating the overwhelming majority of video views.
And, while there are 58.6 million videos attracting over 10K views, only a handful have view counts in the hundreds of millions. This week, (September 1st 2015 to be precise), the Internet welcomed its 8th video to reach 1 BILLION views. Step forward Meghan Trainor, and join the likes of Psy, Justin Bieber, and Taylor Swift in one of the most exclusive societies in the world, the ‘YouTube Billion Views Club’.
We’ll take a look at the most viewed videos on YouTube below. But first, did you know the following amazing facts about the world’s biggest video platform?
Did You Know? 8 Amazing Facts About YouTube
- 58M videos (5%) of YouTube videos are responsible for 95% of views on the site
- 400 hours worth of video content is uploaded to the site every minute
- 8 videos have now surpassed 1 billion views – and they are all music videos
- On mobile, YouTube attracts more viewers aged 18-49 than any U.S. cable network
- 50% of all YouTube views come via a mobile device
- YouTube has more than 1 billion active users
- The average time spent on YouTube per mobile session is 40 minutes
- Music, Minecraft, & Movies are the most searched for keywords on YouTube
8 of the Most Viewed Videos on YouTube – Over 1B Views
The top 17 most watched videos of all time belong to YouTube uploads, and they are also professionally produced and marketed music videos. Below, we’ve listed the 8 that have broken through the 1 billion view barrier, with views correct at time of writing:
- Psy: Gangnam Style – 2,406,688,654 Views
- Justin Bieber: Baby – 1,207,377,406 Views
- Taylor Swift: Blank Space – 1,129,447,206 Views
- Katy Perry: Dark Horse – 1,086,631,431 Views
- Katy Perry: Roar: 1,049,137,307 Views
- Enrique Iglesias: Bailando – 1,027,716,512 Views
- Taylor Swift: Shake it Off – 1,022,010,471 Views
- Meghan Trainor: All About That Bass – 1,004,721,343 Views
While 8 videos have surpassed (almost certainly via a combination of paid and organic marketing), a billion views, only one continues to smash records and outpace the rest. Not only is Psy’s 2012 hit ‘Gangnam Style’ the most watched YouTube/online video ever with over 2.4 billion views and just under 53 million engagements, it also became the first to reach that 2 billion mark.
It also almost broke YouTube, when the view count became so high that YouTube’s view counter couldn’t cope with the numbers. Engineers for the site had to update the maximum view limit from 2,147,483,647 to 9,223,372,036,854,775,808, or more than nine quintillion.
Of the 8 videos to exceed 1 billion views, 5 were uploaded in 2014, so we’re seeing a definite appetite from users for streaming music. With Google’s new subscription service ‘Music Key‘ coming soon, it will be fascinating to see whether consumers are willing to pay a fee to access more ad-free music content.